Dear Member / Friend:
Here at Congregation Habonim, we are blessed with a caring community dedicated to the practice of Judaism through spiritual, educational, cultural, charitable and social activities. Our Nursery and Religious Schools are bustling with children's excited voices as they learn and grow. Habonim's Adult Education programs inspire stimulating discussions on a variety of topics led by thought-provoking teachers. Shabbat at Habonim is well-attended not only because of our clergy and beautiful services but also because of the lively conversations among dear friends that follow. In short, it is because of your involvement that we have become the heimeshe, diverse and inclusive community that is Habonim.
Become a member of Congregation Habonim today! Benefits of membership include:
- Lifecycle events, advice, and our clergy. Access to Rabbi Gelber & Cantor Halev to officiate at your lifecycle events - bris, babynaming, Bar/Bat Mitzvah, wedding, funeral, etc. – and for advice, counsel, and education on all things Jewish.
- Jewish education for your children. A Jewish education for your children -- membership allows you to enroll your kids in Habonim's Nursery School and afterschool Religious School. Your children will learn to read Hebrew, they will be exposed to Jewish values, traditions, and rituals, and they will learn about Torah, our holidays and Shabbat services, Jewish ethics and how to "repair the world," and Israel.
- Bar/Bat Mitzvah. Access to Bar/Bat Mitzvah preparation through one-on-one tutoring customized for your child
- A warm, welcoming Jewish community.
- A place where your children can meet other Jewish children, and feel happy and comfortable being Jewish and being around other Jews!
- A place where you can meet other Jews, make new friends in the neighborhood, and share joys and simchas!
- An inspiring community with which to celebrate the High Holidays, festivals, and Shabbat, including children’s services
- A location in the neighborhood to see your friends - for dinners, lunches, services, holidays, kids' events, our annual gala, cocktail parties in members' apartments, Purim carnival, etc.
- A warm community for support in times of need such as sickness, family loss, and sitting shiva
- Food! Beautiful kiddush lunch every Saturday for kids and adults
- Enrichment of your Jewish life.
- An opportunity to explore your own Judaism in any way you see fit, in a warm, nurturing, non-judgmental environment
- Opportunity to participate in Shabbat services, no matter what level of experience or observance -- all are made welcome at our egalitarian Conservative services
- Reminders of Jewish events - when are the Jewish holidays, your personal yahrzeits, when to say Kaddish, etc.
- High Holidays. All members are welcome to our beautiful High Holiday services for Rosh Hashanah and Yom Kippur (tickets for all members of the household are free for members), and can purchase additional tickets for friends and family
- Doing some good! Opportunities to improve your community, build an organization, volunteer your time productively, and support a Jewish institution in your neighborhood
- Habonim is a peaceful enclave within our frequently chaotic city. Belonging to Habonim makes city life more like a small town, because you aren't alone out there!
Our membership dues are as follows:
- Family Membership - $3114
- Single Parent - $1962
- Individual - $1620
- Young Professionals discount: Members under 30 years old:
- Individual: $198
- Family/Married: $396
- Full time student - $48
- Chaver (more than 50 miles away) - $612
Special promotions for new members:
- Getting married this year (or recently married)? Become a member now and your first year dues are $0! Plus, continue on as a paid member after your first year and we will reserve a spot for you in the Habonim Nursery School (when you’re ready!)
- Enrolling kids in grades K-2 of Habonim’s Religious School? For your first year as members, dues are half-price!
Note: You can become a member at any time during the year -- if mid-year, we will pro-rate your dues for the first year!
No one is denied membership because of inability to pay. If you have financial concerns, please do not hesitate to contact Laura J. Lewis, our Executive Director, at 212-787-5347 x101 or [email protected]. Be assured that conversations about personal finances are completely confidential and treated with great sensitivity. In this spirit, if you are able to help Habonim provide membership grants, please consider making a donation. Any and all contributions will be greatly appreciated.
If your contact information has changed, please call the office at 212-787-5347 x100 or email Adina Rifkin with these updates. Being in touch and keeping you apprised of all the latest developments is critical to maintaining our connection with you. We hope you will continue your dedication to our synagogue and to one another. Only together can we sustain the vibrant spiritual community we have all come to know and cherish here at Habonim.
With all our best wishes,
Neil Goldstein Laura J. Lewis
President Executive Director
Membership Application Form
Download Word version of membership application here.
Download PDF version of membership application here.
Completed applications can be emailed to Adina Rifkin at [email protected], or mailed to Congregation Habonim at 103 West End Avenue, NYC 10023, attn: Adina Rifkin.
We look forward to your joining our community!