View class schedule for 2016-2017 here.
For information about our Religious School, please contact our Religious School Director, Rina Cohen Schwarz at [email protected] or (212) 787-5347 x105.
Aenne Hahn Religious School
The Aenne Hahn Religious School Program is..
- Steeped in Jewish values, traditions and rituals
- Interactive and engaging
- Meaningful and substantive
- Challenging, dynamic and diverse
- Active dialogue between staff and participants
- Nurturing, warm and playful
Congregation Habonim is a place that rests on three things, Torah (the WHAT), Avodah (the WHAT and the HOW), and Gemilut Chasadim (the WAY).
Al shlosha d’varim ha’olam omed.
Al shlosha d’varim ha’makom omed.
The world stands on three things.
The place stands on three things.
TORAH: Torah in its broadest sense guides us in our everyday lives, whether it is our holiday celebrations or in our daily life decisions. In its narrowest sense, Torah is text. At Habonim, we explore both. AVODAH: Avodah is both worship and service. In its narrow definition, Avodah is our engagement with prayer and tradition. Practicing our teaching as we explore our communal and individual responsibility to one another. GEMILUT CHASADIM: Gemilut Chasadim are acts of loving kindness. Giving of oneself and one's time, demonstrating one's compassion and empathy are ways in which Judaism guides our lives.
WHAT WILL WE GIVE?
- We will approach everyone with kavod - respect and dignity.
- We will provide a makom kadosh - a holy and safe place for people to share their thoughts and ideas.
- We will provide an avirah ne’imah - an environment that is rich in content and purpose.
- We will create tzipiyot – expectations that are reasonable.
- We will provide efsharuyot – opportunities for people to question and find meaning along with a variety of ways to connect.
- We will provide petichut – the opening for continuous discovery and reflection.
- We will leave room for pelah/tikvah – wonder, hope and ambiguity – and we will be comfortable NOT knowing all of the answers.
- We will enable kehilah – a community of searchers and learners, givers and receivers.
- We will focus on the derech – the process, the way we do what we do.
- We will demonstrate and role model ashrei – gratitude and richness by living a thoughtful, serious and meaningful life.