Congregation Habonim was founded in 1939 by German survivors of Kristallnacht. For the first nearly 20 years, Habonim was a “commuter synagogue,” attended by German immigrants and their families from across New York City and the metro area. In succeeding decades, Habonim was located on West 66th Street. Today, Congregation Habonim and its Nursery School are located at 103 West End Avenue @ 64th Street, in a beautiful, brand-new facility that Habonim built and began occupying in 2015." Today, Habonim has re-dedicated itself to its mission to build Jewish community from the ground up, opening our doors to our community’s oldest members and its youngest, whatever their background.
The Nursery School was founded in 1997 in response to the changing demographics and growing demand on the Upper West Side, as well as to continue the great tradition on which Habonim was founded. Jewish values, culture, and learning are deeply integrated into the curriculum of our school. While we are a Conservative congregation, we welcome families from all Jewish backgrounds, and ensure that all feel welcome, including interfaith families. We hope the rich mosaic that is modern Jewish life on the Upper West Side will inform and enliven the daily life of our school. The school’s success has led to growth from two classes to five. We have also met the needs of families with the addition of an After-School Program as well a bridge camp program, June School, for two weeks between the end of school and the start of camp.
We are always mindful of where our journey began. Some of our earliest teachers remain on the staff. This continuity, mirroring the continuity of the synagogue, is a reflection of the warm and sustaining home away from home people find here.
We are proud to say that our first students are now in college, continuing to build on the foundation of exploration learned at the Nursery School at Habonim!
Nursery School Administrator